Same Day Surgery at Arnot Health
With today's advances in medicine, patients can have certain types of surgery and return home the same day or spend only one night in a hospital.
Before outpatient surgery you must complete all paperwork and medical or laboratory testing at the pre-admission center. You or your physician's office can schedule an appointment with pre-admissions within four to seven days before your procedure.
What to bring:
- Insurance card
- 18 or younger must bring immunization record
Day before surgery:
- Drink extra fluids the evening before
- Eat your regular diet until midnight, unless otherwise restricted by your physician
- Get a good night's sleep
- Shower and wash your hair the night before or morning of surgery
Day of surgery:
- Wear loose clothing that is easy to take off and put back on
- Do not wear make-up, jewelry or nail polish
- Leave all valuables at home
- Do not chew gum, drink alcohol, eat hard candy or smoke cigarettes
A responsible person should drive or accompany the patient home on the day of the surgery. Recovery times vary from one to several hours, so the escort should plan to stay as the patient recovers, or be available for a telephone call to bring the patient home as soon as they are ready to be discharged.
607-737-4499 or 800-952-2662