Same-Day Surgery at Arnot Health
With today's advances in medicine, patients can have certain types of surgery and return home the same day, or spend only one night in a hospital.
Before outpatient surgery you must complete all paperwork and medical or laboratory testing at the pre-admission center. Your surgeon's office will schedule an appointment with the pre-admission center before your procedure.
What to bring:
- Insurance card
- 18 or younger must bring immunization record
- Medications in their labeled containers
Day before surgery:
- Drink extra fluids the evening before
- Eat your regular diet until midnight, unless otherwise restricted by your physician
- Get a good night's sleep
- Shower and wash your hair the morning of surgery
Day of surgery:
- If you become ill the day of your surgery, call your surgeon's office. After hours there is an answering service.
- Wear loose clothing that is easy to take off and put back on
- Do not wear make-up or jewelry
- Leave all valuables at home
- Contact lenses have to be removed prior to surgery - please wear glasses
- Dentures have to be removed prior to surgery - please do not use adhesive
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, marijuana, or vape
- You may ONLY drink water, Gatorade, apple juice, or soda - diet or regular - until FOUR HOURS before your scheduled surgery. NO coffee, tea or energy drinks
- Call Health on Demand at 607-737-4499 between 5:00 pm and 7:00 pm for your arrival time. Call on Friday for surgery on Monday
Make sure you have a ride home. You must have a responsible adult with you for discharge. Recovery times vary from one to several hours, so the escort should plan to stay as your recover, or be available for a telephone call to bring you home as soon as you are ready to be discharged. Please make sure you have someone to help you at home.