Mammography at Arnot Health
Breast cancer is a leading cause of death in American women, with one out of eight developing the disease some time in her life. However, when detected early, it is also one of the most treatable forms of cancer.
Studies show that mammography is the BEST method available for the early detection of breast cancer.
The American Cancer Society recommends the following guidelines for women who do not have any symptoms of breast cancer:
- Women who are 35 years old should have a baseline mammogram (i.e. a first mammogram) from which following mammograms can be compared.
- Women who are 40 to 50 years old should have a mammogram every other year.
- Women who are age 50 and older should have a mammogram every year.
At Arnot Health, our mammography services are designed to offer the most complete breast cancer diagnostic services available in the Southern Tier. We are:
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology, which has the highest standards of quality for mammography in the United States.
- Organized with a computerized-tracking system to remind your doctor when it's time for your next mammogram.
- Comprehensive - every patient receives individual educational services, including instruction on how to properly perform breast self-examination.
About Digital Mammography
With digital mammography, the radiologist reviews electronic images of the breast, using special high-resolution monitors. The physician can adjust the brightness, change contrast, and zoom in for close ups of specific areas of interest. Being able to manipulate images is one of the main benefits of digital technology. Because they are electronic, digital mammography images can be easily stored, copied without any loss of information, and transmitted and received quickly and efficiently.
Another convenience of digital mammography over film-based systems is it can greatly reduce the need for retakes due to over or under exposure. This potentially saves additional time and reduces your exposure to x-rays.
607-737-4499 or 800-952-2662
Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital
7571 State Road 54
Bath, NY 14810
AMS - Corning Denison Parkway
8 Denison Parkway East
Corning, NY 14830
Health Center for Women
600 Fitch Street
Elmira, NY 14905
Horseheads Medical Office Building
100 J. Roemmelt Drive
Horseheads, NY 14845