History of the Arnot Ogden Medical Center
In 1888, Mariana Arnot Ogden founded Arnot Ogden Memorial Hospital with the mission to provide care to the people of Elmira and its surrounding communities without regard to age, sex, color, creed or nationality. Though the facilities and names have changed, Arnot Ogden Medical Center has grown and expanded with the generous support of our community, never wavering from our original mission to care to all.
1885—Elmira physicians, Dr. Truman H. Squire, Dr. William C. Wey, Dr. Patrick Flood, develop a plan for a general hospital.
1888—Arnot-Ogden Memorial Hospital opens through the generous support of Mariana Arnot Ogden.
1890—Training School for Nurses opens to address nursing shortage.
1907—Dr. Anna Stuart opens Arnot-Ogden's Clinical Laboratory.
1925—An $800,000 expansion under Medical Staff President Dr. Arthur Booth and the chairmanship of Alexander D. Falck Sr.
1951—$1.5 million raised for expansion, improvements, and to replace original buildings.
1954—Cornerstone laid for new building by 8-year-old Diana M. Riggs, daughter of Elizabeth Falck Riggs who laid the cornerstone in 1926, and granddaughter of Elizabeth Rathbone Falck, who set the original cornerstone in 1888.
1955—X-ray technology available, first in the area and a rare capability at the time.
1958—ICU for acutely ill and post-operative patients opens.
1964—Electronic patient monitoring implemented, the first hospital in New York state.
1970—Acquisition of the first "Shockmobile" east of the Mississippi to support trauma care services.
1972—Neonatal Intensive Care Unit opens to treat critically ill newborns.
1973—Cardiac surgical program for heart surgery and Cardiac Catheterization lab established.
1980s—Advancements in CT scanning, an integrated cancer treatment and education program, MRI, coronary angioplasty, and HELP, the first medical record-keeping computer system at the Hospital.
1991—The Falck Cancer Center opens.
1990—Full spectrum of 3B Medical Computer Technologies acquired, revolutionizing data handling capabilities and electronic communications throughout the medical center.
1991—Arnot-Ogden Memorial Hospital becomes Arnot Ogden Medical Center, the provider of choice for quality care throughout the Twin Tiers.
1991—Health Center for Women consolidates comprehensive care into a private, non-clinical setting.
1994—Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health program offers screenings and health enhancement programs, worksite analysis for hazard prevention and workplace injury care.
1997—E-wing opens with new critical care suites, post-anesthesia recovery, outpatient surgery, endoscopy, clinical laboratories and radiology, a consolidated reception area and the Petrie conference space for public education programs.
1998—Arnot Medical Services becomes the largest multi-specialty medical practice in central New York.
1999—Arnot Health Heart and Vascular Institute reopens diagnostic testing, rehabilitation and wellness facilities in a newly-redesigned location on the first floor of the Medical Center's 1926 "C" wing.
2005— The Schweizer Pavilion opens with new equipment and a better patient experience for emergency, operating, labor and delivery and maternity.
2006--New neo-natal intensive care and inpatient dialysis centers open, Arnot Ogden Medical Center is designated a New York Stroke Center, and offers 64-slice CT scanning and PET/CT technology.
Support Our Mission
Arnot Ogden Medical Center is a non-profit organization, supported by our community through 3 charitable organizations. Contributions help fund medical equipment, patient services, health education, scholarships and more.
Join Our Team
Find your place at Arnot Health. We seek outstanding people who are dedicated to compassionate, patient-centered care with the highest professional and ethical standards. Our employees enjoy competitive benefits, ample paid time off, and opportunities for advancement.
About Arnot Health
Arnot Health physicians, clinicians, and specialists work together to offer integrated quality care to our patients, their families and our community. Our services are available throughout the region at 1 tertiary medical center and 2 acute-care hospitals, long-term care centers, rehabilitation facilities, and local physicians offices.