History of St. Joseph's Hospital
In 1908, a small group of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Rochester, New York, along with several local physicians and community leaders, established St. Joseph's Hospital in Elmira, New York. With over 100 years of service to the community and now as part of Arnot Health, St. Joseph's has grown from a modest three-story building to a regional healthcare facility, serving the residents of the Southern Tier of New York and the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania. The founders' vision continues today, thanks to the dedication and support of our physicians, staff, volunteers, and Board of Directors.
1908—The Academy of Our Lady of the Angels at 559 East market Street purchased for $10,000.
1908—Proceeds from an exhibition baseball game used to buy surgical instruments and improve facilities.
1931—Archbishop Thomas Hickey dedicates the new medical wing, making St. Joseph's a 245-bed facility.
1942—Sister Margaret Adelaide Own appointed administrator of St. Joseph's.
1946—Chemung River floods, causing $350,000 in damage. 3 operations performed without heat, electricity or telephones.
1954—Women's Auxiliary organized to sponsor projects and services for the benefit of the hospital and patients.
1956—Judge Daniel Donahoe spearheads a fund drive to raise $1 million for expansion and renovations.
1958—New intensive care facilities open, an extended care unit added 1 year later.
1960—A 2-story addition connects the Hospital and Dunn memorial.
1965—Dr. Alan Mahood performs Elmira's first corneal transplant and the first open-heart surgery takes place in Elmira at St. Joseph's
1969—Construction for the Medical Arts Building begins.
1970s—The Southern Tier Alcoholism Rehabilitation Services (STARS) program is launched.
1970—Operation People Committee (OPPY) founded to promote communication between the hospital, media and community.
1972—Operation Outreach, lead by Clarence Brobst raises $2.5 million to establish the Twin Tiers Rehabilitation Center and the John E. Sullivan Pavilion
1972—Hurrican Agnes forces the emergency evacuation of 200 patients by helicopter.
1973—Sister Martha Gersbach becomes the 5th administrator.
1984—The St. Joseph's Hospital Foundation is incorporated and becomes the main fundraising organization.
1988—Sister Marie Castagnaro, a member of the St. Joseph's Congregation, becomes the 6th administrator
1992—St. Joseph's became an affiliate of Carondelet Health System, becoming a full member in 1997.
1995—STARS becomes the Southern Tier Addiction Rehabilitation Services.
1997—The Emergency Department renovated and construction begins on the Health Services Building, opening in May 1999.
1999—The "Hand in Hand" capital campaign targets $3 million for technological upgrades, rehabilitation center renovations, expansion of the Skilled Nursing Facility and relocation of the chapel.
2000—STARS expanded to help teenagers and parents with Adolescent Intensive Outpatient Treatment
2001—Rev. Matthew Clark, Bishop of the Diocese of Rochester, dedicates St. Joseph's The Healer Chapel.
2004—Kidney Center opens for patients in need of dialysis.
2011—St. Joseph's Hospital becomes part of Arnot Health.
Support Our Mission
St. Joseph's Hospital is a non-profit hospital, supported by our community through the St. Joseph's Hospital Foundation. Contributions help fund medical equipment, patient services, health education, scholarships, and more.
Join Our Team
Find your place at Arnot Health. We seek outstanding people who are dedicated to compassionate, patient-centered care with the highest professional and ethical standards. Our employees enjoy competitive benefits, ample paid time off, and opportunities for advancement.
About Arnot Health
Arnot Health physicians, clinicians, and specialists work together to offer integrated quality care to our patients, their families, and our community. Our services are available throughout the region at 3 hospitals, long-term care centers, rehabilitation facilities, and local physicians' offices.