The Auxiliary is a membership organization of more than 900 men and women who provide financial and volunteer support to the Arnot Ogden Medical Center. We take pride in providing helping hands and caring hearts to enhance the hospital experience for everyone. The Auxiliary was formed on October 3, 1963 with the mission of:
- Service to patients, visitors and staff
- Fundraising to benefit patient care and services
- Community outreach as ambassadors for the hospital and as volunteers
Our mission has never changed, but the scope of our support has grown exponentially.
Ways to Give
Service to the Community
Each year, more than 600 adult, college and teen volunteers give over 87,000 hours in a variety of areas. These include patient services, reception services, delivery services, office assistance, fundraising, community outreach and knitting/sewing. Volunteers staff 35 services on a regular basis and also staff hundreds of special events and projects.
The Auxiliary raises more than $150,000 per year for patient care equipment through our gift shop, thrift shop, and events such as the Holiday Fair, Gift Basket Bazaar and Tree of Lights. Our signature event, Orchids & Candlelight has raised almost $1 million for the Falck Cancer Center since its inception in 1991.
Auxiliary Membership Options
All volunteers are automatically members of the Auxiliary. We also welcome those who don't wish to volunteer, but are willing to pay dues to maintain membership status and receive Auxiliary news. Dues start at $5. A donation of $200 entitles the donor to lifetime membership.
Honors and Awards
Arnot Ogden Medical Center Auxiliary was named "Auxiliary of the Year" in the large hospital category by the Healthcare Association of New York State in 2010 for outstanding achievements in community outreach and advocacy. Our outreach programs include:
- A Poison Prevention Program where 7 dedicated volunteers visit over 70 schools throughout the twin tiers region to teach more than 4000 young children how to prevent accidental poisoning.
- The Auxiliary Thrift Shop serves the public as well as patients and local organizations.
- Other outreach programs include sponsoring a blood drive, selling daffodils for the American Cancer Society and collecting mittens and hats for needy children.
Arnot Ogden Medical Center Auxiliary
600 Roe Avenue, Elmira, NY 14905
Carol Balmer, President