St. Joseph’s Hospital volunteers are a vital part of the St. Joseph’s Hospital team. We believe this partnership with our community members is an integral ingredient in providing quality service. Whether you're interested in patient contact, office work, special projects, a sit-down job or lots of walking, a fixed or flexible schedule, placements are often available.
Become a Volunteer
Becoming a volunteer is easy. We welcome enthusiastic individuals of all backgrounds and abilities. All you need is the spirit of caring and the energy to contribute. If this sounds like you, give us a call at 607-737-7819
Learn more about Volunteer Requirements.
What Do Volunteers Do?
More than 130 active volunteers contribute over 25,000 hours annually. They work with over 25 departments in a variety of jobs. We do our best to make effective use of each person's talents, skills and interests. Activities include:
- Staffing reception areas and waiting rooms
- Staffing the front information desk
- Visiting and advocating for patients
- Spiritual care
- Working with geriatric patients
- Supporting terminally ill patients and their families
- Helping with clerical or secretarial projects
- Working in the gift shop
- Teaching, writing and editing, data entry
- Knitting and sewing
Each year, volunteers find fulfillment, practical work experience, and companionship at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Volunteering is an opportunity to share, learn and to make a commitment to a vision. Volunteers are vital, without them we would be unable to provide all the services our community enjoy and deserve.
- Adults share their compassion, skills, and expertise. They volunteer for personal growth, job advancement, career change or social commitment.
- Retirees gain personal satisfaction and reward by offering their time and experience.
Recognition and Benefits
The greatest reward our volunteers enjoy is the satisfaction of being of service to others. We have an annual awards dinner, Christmas luncheon, harvest dinner and recognition during National Volunteer Week. Active Volunteers are eligible for the following benefits:
- Free initial and annual tuberculosis screening
- Discounted prices in the cafeteria
- Free, annual flu shots
- Access to vacation spot discounts and discount movie passes
- Access to medical center education and wellness programs
- A letter of recommendation, upon request
No One Dies Alone is a volunteer program supported by compassionate companions who provide a reassuring presence to dying patients who would otherwise be alone. St. Joseph's employees and volunteers who would like to be companions should be willing to hold the hand of the patient, read to them, play music and assist in comfort care measures. For more information contact the Spiritual Care Department at Ext. 425.
Our mission is to provide a volunteer staff that offers an extra dimension of care and services to patients, families and visitors, and supportive services for staff. We strive to be responsive to the community we serve:
- to enhance the services of staff in providing quality health care to our patients and the community
- to provide and promote ongoing recognition for volunteers
- to motivate and retain volunteers
- to anticipate needs and trends in order to plan for future growth
The Auxiliary and Volunteer Department work together. They provide services to St. Joseph’s patients, staff and visitors, and financial support to maintain advanced medical technology and services, and they are a voice for the medical center in the community.
Become a Volunteer
To request an application, call the Volunteer Department: 607-737-7819.
607-737-4499 or 800-952-2662
St. Joseph’s Hospital
555 St. Joseph’s Boulevard
Elmira, NY 14901