Before Joint Surgery
Your physician will schedule your surgical appointment and the office will call to notify you of the time of your surgery.
Attend our free Total Joint Education Class
We encourage you to attend our free Total Joint Education Class once your surgery is scheduled. You will be contacted by Health on Demand to register for the next class: 607-737-4499.
Prepare Your Home
A few changes to your home may reduce the risk of falling and help you get around after surgery.
- Remove throw rugs or secure them with carpet tacks or no-skid pads.
- Clear hallways and walkways of clutter as well as electrical and phone cords.
- Add easily accessible lamps if light switches will be out of reach.
- Make sure you have a portable phone you can reach and a list of emergency numbers.
- Put a chair in each room with good back support that you can get into and out of easily.
- Make sure stairways are well lit and have a sturdy handrail.
- Keep a charged flashlight near your bed.
- Add a safety rail to your bathtub and make sure you have a no-slip bath mat.
- Move frequently used items to accessible cabinets in the kitchen.
- Purchase a medication storage box to keep all your medications in one place and track what you’ve taken.
What to Bring to the Hospital
- Glasses instead of contacts.
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes with closed backs that will allow for swelling.
- A list of all prescribed, over-the-counter, and herbal medications and the dosages you take.
- Important documents: insurance cards, your living will, power of attorney, or health care proxy.
- Personal items such as toiletries, books, magazines, or hobby items.
- Do not bring jewelry or valuables, credit cards, medications, or slippers with open backs.
- You may bring your own pillow. Be sure it is easily identifiable.
7 Days before Surgery
At a pre-surgery appointment, your care team will meet with you to answer questions, perform necessary tests, review your medications and allergies, and teach you how to prevent complications and ease your recovery.
24 Hours before Surgery
Your care team will provide information about how to prepare. This is a quick reminder:
- Do not eat any solid food after midnight.
- Drink only clear liquids (fluids you can see through) up to 2 hours before your arrival time at the hospital.
- Check with your doctor about which prescribed medications you may take before surgery.
- You may brush your teeth.
- To prevent infections due to nicks to the skin, do not shave the surgical site before surgery.
Health on Demand
If you have questions or concerns, a registered nurse is available daily from Health on Demand: 607-737-4499.