Preparing for Discharge
Your nurse will review all doctor's instructions with you and a family member or support person before discharge. If you have questions or concerns, a registered nurse is available 24/7 from Health on Demand: 607-737-4499. Learn more about Planning for your Hospital Discharge.
Ask Your Nurse About
- How to care for your incision.
- How to manage pain.
- Activities that you are expected to do and those you should avoid.
- Where you need to go for Coumadin monitoring.
Ask Your Case Manager About
- Rehabilitation at home, through an out-patient facility or a skilled nursing facility.
- Equipment recommended by your therapist or that you feel you may need.
- Home care and assistance.
- Insurance coverage for any of these needs.
Call Your Doctor If
- You have a fever above 101°.
- Unusual pain not relieved by medication.
- Unusual redness.
- Heat or drainage from your incision site.
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- Sudden onset of severe pain or limited motion in surgical site.
Notify your dentist and other physicians that you have had orthopedic surgery. You may need antibiotics before you have dental work or other surgical procedures.
Health on Demand
If you have questions or concerns, a registered nurse is available daily from Health on Demand: 607-737-4499.